(BPT) – Households heating with natural gas, which is almost half of U.S. homes, are expected to spend an average of $635 on heating this winter – 22 percent more than last winter, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration – but some easy seasonal maintenance tips can make a big difference.
“There are several simple, inexpensive ways consumers can save money on utility bills this winter, and still stay warm and comfortable as temperatures begin to drop,” said Jill Murphy, a home heating and energy efficiency expert with Lennox Industries. “By taking the initiative to weatherproof their home before the start of the cold-weather season, homeowners will be able to enjoy a warmer and more energy-efficient house.”
To help consumers combat high utility bills and achieve optimum indoor comfort this winter, Murphy and Lennox suggest a few easy tips for staying safe, dry and comfortable as the cold comes:
The attic. The attic is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to heat loss. Without adequate attic insulation, your heating system will have to work harder and will be less effective as it tries to maintain a warm temperature in the home. Statistics show that older homes, especially those built before 1980, often don’t have enough insulation.
Windows and doors. Air leaks caused by cracks or holes around windows and doors can enable warm indoor air to escape and cold outside air to seep in, preventing you from maintaining a consistent indoor temperature. Murphy suggests sealing cracks with caulk or weather stripping.
Exterior walls. It’s also important to look for cracks and holes around the perimeter of your home. To identify air leaks in outside-facing walls, try holding a candle near suspect areas to reveal drafts and then seal leaks with caulk or weather stripping.
Fireplace and chimney. To prevent warm indoor air from escaping the home, Murphy also reminds homeowners to keep fireplace dampers closed when not in use; however, always make sure the damper is fully opened before starting a fire. You also should inspect the chimney cap to ensure that the chimney won’t have a smoke or water leak when you fire it up this winter.
Heating system. Keeping your heating system running efficiently is the most significant way to reduce utility bills and stay warm this winter. To reduce the potential for a breakdown in the middle of winter, Murphy recommends having your furnace inspected by certified technicians before old man winter arrives, and consider replacing a system that is more than 15 years old.
Programmable thermostats. To further maximize savings on your heating bills, Murphy recommends installing a smart thermostat, such as the Lennox iComfort E30, which works with Amazon Alexa smart home devices and is compatible with any brand of HVAC system.
The roof. The roof is your home’s first defense against falling rain, ice and snow, so it’s important to inspect it to make sure shingles are in place to prevent water from seeping inside the house. If large gaps are found, hire a professional roofing company to repair the problem areas.
By making a few minor adjustments around the house, homeowners can help alleviate safety concerns and reduce the amount of wasted energy, all while staying comfortable during the chilly season. To learn more about home energy efficiency and how to save money on utility bills, visit https://www.lennox.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Lennox.
So it’s that time of year again. Fall time. When the leaves start changing well so do the morning temperatures here in Central Ohio.
So, when you turn your furnace on does it make some strange noises? Maybe it’s blowing cold air still? Uh oh- Then it’s time to find out why. You roll downstairs and you listen to the sound of your furnace. Do you hear any leaking sounds? How about the dreaded clanking? is this a word??? Well anyways, let’s get back to why you are here. Furnace repair in Columbus.
Now that you hear something not quite right or worse, don’t feel that warm air you were expecting what can you do. You can run to youtube and try and become a DIY’er but this is not recommended. Because there is electric and gas involved, these two elements could really endanger you if not handled properly.
We recommend instead, that you call the experts at Advance JHeating and Cooling. We will come out, most days- same day – and inspect what is going on. We will explain what that sound is or why the heat is not blowing, give you the details and always try and repair your issues first. We don;t just sell you a new furnace. Furnaces are being made better and better each year and many of the parts are swappable so we will do our best to keep the costs down for you.
So when your furnace is need of attention and repair, let the experts at Advance Heating and Cooling help you.
Where comfort starts HERE!
The changeable temperatures can make your HVAC system work extra hard to give you consistent indoor comfort.
It’s your turn to be comfortable in YOUR home again!
Let the team of experts at Advance Heating and Cooling help you with your Air Conditioning Repair or Furnace Repair in Columbus and all throughout Central Ohio.
Our highly-trained and friendly staff are here to help you get, and stay comfortable, in your home. We are a furnace repair company in Columbus and AC repair company in Columbus that cares about its customers!
Nobody should be cold in their home.
Stop WISHING that you were comfortable! It’s time to be comfortable in your Comfort-Zone! Nobody should be cold in their home.
Visit our site or call Advance Heating and Cooling at 614-321-4756 today!
The Top 10 (Of Many) Reasons Why Advance Heating and Cooling Should Be The #1 Choice for Your Furnace Replacement Company in Columbus, Ohio & Surrounding Areas.
Prompt, Professional HVaC Repair Service for Columbus
Advance Heating and Cooling is a reliable furnace replacement company in Columbus that specializes in proper HVAC repair for all of Franklin and Licking Counties. Why should you hire us instead of the other guys? We could write you a novel, but you’re busy, and we aren’t writers, we’re reliable HVAC service technicians.
Here are the top ten reasons you should hire the experienced HVAC technicians at Advance Heating and Cooling:
- We know that honesty is the best policy, so we won’t lie to you or upcharge you some insanely high amount of money out of nowhere.
- We are fully licensed, bonded and insured, so you can be confident in the quality of our work as your furnace replacement company in Columbus.
- We’re certified in technical services and guarantee parts and labor, and we know our stuff.
- We are qualified repair technicians that have the all of the relevant skills, experience and advanced tools to fix even the most challenging of HVAC problems. We have a long track record of being a reliable and fast furnace replacement company in Columbus, Ohio. Ask around, or check out the Customer Reviews on our website for the proof.
- We offer you viable solutions at the lowest competitive prices. We will work with you.
- If your system needs to be replaced, we offer you a free estimate so you can be sure you won’t break your budget while trying to fix your furnace.
- We are friendly, helpful, and can explain to you in layman’s terms what needs to be done. Just because we have been trained to know what enthalpy is, we understand that you may not, and we are happy to help!
- We provide emergency services, no matter what day or time it is, with no overtime charges. This just one of the reasons why we are such a highly recommended furnace replacement company in Columbus.
- We like to get things done so that you can go back to doing the same. With our extensive repair experience, our technicians can identify the root causes of your HVAC problem quickly in order to solve it for you faster.
- We have the proper know-how to address your issues no matter what brand of heating or cooling system you have.
Call us today at 614-321-4756, and don’t forget to ask about our offers and discounts for an even better price!